[DECtalk] Report of a successful use of dectalk with graphical Linux.

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:34:09 EST 2023

And for all we know the copyright holder could even be dead and unable to
give permission for anything. And the copyright holder is probably a
separate person from any developers who may have worked on decTalk anyway.
Oh well that's that I guess. But what about the fair use act?

https://www.multiplechronicconditions.org/fair-use-act-disclaimer/#:~:text=F
air%20use%20is%20a%20doctrine,%2C%20research%2C%20teaching%20or%20scholarshi
p.

Maybe since the decTalk stuff is for our own personal use and enjoyment?
However, A quick google search did not tell me after all who the current
copyright holder of decTalk may be. There should be some provision under the
fair use act that lets us compile and run it on any platform we can, with
screen readers or audio games and other tts apps. After all, there are
android apps on the google play store that let you play old rare video games
from the 80s and that is probably under fair use I would guess. All I know
is Roger Dudley is or was the CEO. Roger Dudley cannot be contacted. Is
Roger Dudley even alive anymore? Who knows. So maybe just chawk up the
decTalk stuff to the fair use act and be done with it. update: that may not
be possible according to this website... well I do know there is lots of
abandonware out there. I say just don't profit from decTalk or try to pass
it off as your own creation and you ought to be fine. Its abandonware that
happens to work on modern windows. Its like using or insisting on using
wordperfect 5.1 for dos. Its that old the company no longer cares. There's
no money to be made from decTalk -- or so little if any its not worth
pursuing any legal action. Same with wordperfect 5 for dos, lotus 1-2-3 for
dos from 1988 and so on. Is it fun to play with wordperfect for dos from
1988 and lotus 1-2-3 for dos from the same time? And decTalk? sure. Are
wordperfect and lotus for dos practical in today's world? Not really. They
are so outdated from today's standards. Imagine trying to sell wordperfect
for dos from 1988? Who would buy it? nobody and you would go bankrupt
quickly.

https://www.khuranaandkhurana.com/2021/01/21/copyright-ownership-of-abandonw
are/#:~:text=Under%20the%20Copyright%20Law%20in,%E2%80%9D%20or%20%E2%80%9Cor
phan%20works%E2%80%9D.