[DECtalk] Permissions, Rights, etc. (was Re: Report of a successful use of dectalk with graphical Linux.)

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Wed Feb 22 19:39:51 EST 2023

Yes, I would most certainly love to be able to see DECTalk software in
all its glory available in my distro of choice, and to see a proper
speech-dispatcher module written for it instead of the generic
configuration we have now. I would even like to be able to mirror the
sourse code myself. This is the only reason I even brought up the
licensing issue, as it still indicates that the code and binaries built
from it are not redistributable. I certainly did not mean to start a
war, nor did I intend to have people driven away. I only wanted to
express my delight at finding this code and building it and having it
work on my system, despite my fear of the proprietary license that is
still a part of the software repository. This is why I posted to the
other list and then joined this one as soon as I found it.

It was never my intention to get Mr. Kennedy in an uproar over this. I
only wanted to express my joy at finding such a gem and get
clarification on the licensing issues, not to start this trouble that
has arisen from my initial post to the other list. Sorry for the
trouble; I can leave this list if I must, though I really do enjoy using
and playing with this software, and do enjoy conversing with others who
are also using and enjoying it.

~Kyle