[DECtalk] Permissions, Rights, etc. (was Re: Report of a successful use of dectalk with graphical Linux.)

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Wed Feb 22 19:26:28 EST 2023

Hi,

This message is directed at Josh. Please, for the love of all that is
good and holy, stop bothering DECtalk developers about this. If I
understand my DECtalk history and facts correctly, the developers who
are still active in the DECtalk community do not, in fact, own the
copyright to the code. This means they do not have the right to give
anyone permission to use the code. Even if they say they don't care what
we do with it, that statement isn't worth a hill of beans because they
do not have the right to make that decision. Only the current copyright
holder or his/her/their authorized representative has the right to make
that decision.

Also, as others have stated, an audio recording is not going to cut it
in a legal context. You need an official document signed by the
copyright holder. Not that I'm a lawyer or anything, but while some
people might be willing to work with someone just saying they don't care
what we do with this code, companies and organizations that might want
to include DECtalk in their own software distributions (think screen
readers, Linux distributions, etc) have to be absolutely sure, beyond a
doubt, that they have the legal right to do so. Just an "I don't care"
is nowhere near enough to give these companies/organizations the
assurance they need that the code is free and clear from a legal
perspective.

If you wish to continue this discussion with others, please do so
off-list. I have nothing further to say on this matter, as I've said all
I know to say.

For everyone else, I'm sorry this has happened again.

Jayson