[DECtalk] note takers that used decTalk?

joshknnd1982 at gmail.com joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:12:20 EDT 2022

Hi

If I remember correctly, I think my one friend's braille mate note taker,
the note taker with the one cell braille display used decTalk. But I may be
wrong because in an audio tutorial on Jake gross's site, the braille mate is
using the Artic Technologies SSI269 or 260 chip? Whatever chip the braille
'n speak used, sounding board, and a number of other synthesizers. Or did a
later version of the braille mate use decTalk? I know brailleNote used
keynote gold and so did keynote companion. But in the early 90s pulsedata's
keysoft could use decTalk as an alternative to Keynote gold. So does anyone
know of any other notetakers that used decTalk for their speech?

Also is source code available for any versions of decTalk? Or is decTalk
still closed source? Double talk was also popular but I think double talk
has been discontinued and is no longer sold. MultiVoice, Kurzweil personal
reader, and the reading edge Kurzweil reader scanner also used decTalk I
think.