[DECtalk] New synthesizer Gnuspeech

Piotr Machacz pitermach at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 07:02:22 EDT 2015

If I remember correctly, Next and OS X have a lot in common. After Steve Jobs was fired from Apple, he went to work for… Whoever made Next OS, and when he returned a lot of the code from that ended up in Mac OS (this is why most OS X and iOS frameworks start with NS, NSString, NSSpeechSynthesizer, NsAccessibility and so on).
So I compiled gnuSpeech on my Mac and have played with the Monet application. It’s fully accessible. And ridiculously customisable. It’s not really an app just for Text to speech, more a program that lets you edit just about everything about the synthesiser. You have at least 10 windows you can show and hide to edit things like the phonemes, synthesis rules, script the intonation, various parameters of the throat (including its temperature for some reason), and a window that lets you actually synthesise text and shows you the phoneme output and graphs on how the mouth position changes. There’s also a more general purpose app that talks to the gnu speech daemon to synthesise text, which I’ll try to install later.