[DECtalk] Bandwidth limiting

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Apr 3 03:39:14 EDT 2006

Hi,

What Apache module are you using?  If you install mod_choke, you can
do this on a directory basis.  Just drop a .htaccess file in the
directory to block.  I'm not at all surprised at people taking all
the bandwidth.  I can relate, I've had similar problems.  If you
install mod_choke and can't figure it out, write and I'll send my
configuration.  Actually you don't have to use .htaccess, you can
drop it in httpd.conf or include a separate config file.  That way
the .htaccess won't be visible to ftp clients and won't get mirrored
because it won't exist.

Also, there are other mirroring options.  One I've tried and can
recommend is Coral CDN.  It isn't an actual mirror but a series of
servers that are designed to help slow sites.  They download a file
for you and you can get it faster from the server group instead of
one heavily loaded server.  It's kind of like a proxy but not
exactly.  You can use it with any site or almost any file as long as
it's static.  Dynamic content such as php scripts and forms won't
work.  To use, just append .nyud.net:8080 to the url.  Here is an example:

http://bluegrasspals.com:8080/

This is especially good outside of North America.  There are many
servers in Asia.  My tests have generally shown a slightly faster
download speed this way.  Sometimes it might be slower if you get a
distant server such as in Asia but refreshing or trying the download
again usually helps.  It is still in testing so it isn't perfect but
might be a good starting point.  It doesn't do ftp at all.

Also I don't know if mod_choke works with Apache 2 or not.  If not,
try mod_tsunami.  It looked good last time I checked.  I didn't like
mod_bandwidth or mod_throttle but those are also options.  One didn't
support .htaccess, I think mod_bandwidth.  There might be one just
for Apache 2 also, I'm not sure.  Sorry list for the technical
discussion, but I've been there before so I can relate to his problem.