[DECtalk] Bandwidth limiting

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 3 11:24:54 EDT 2006

Hi,
I am using Mod_BW.  I did figure out how to do bandwidth limiting on a
directory basis.  Therefore, the DECtalk archive via HTTP is now under
bandwidth limiting while other portions of the site which seem to account
for much less traffic have full bandwidth available.  I couldn't use
Mod_Tsunami since it's for Apache 1.3 and I'm using Apache2.
As for giving Planetmirror a private username and password, I don't really
want to do that, simply because I don't really want to remind them about the
DECtalk archive, since it was probably almost pulled once.  I never did hear
back from my contact there, and would like to maintain an "out of sight, out
of mind" situation.
As for the nyud.net dynamic mirroring thing, that's quite nice.  I actually
have other content on bluegrasspals.com which could benefit from this.
However, I don't know how best to use it.  If I just point all my links to
that server, then if they ever take it offline people might think my content
was gone when it really isn't.  And yet, if I just politely ask people to
use it, some people might not take the trouble or might not even read that
notice, thus taking away some of the benefit.
On this subject, I've just tested this, and everybody is hereby encouraged
to use the following URL to access the DECtalk archive.
http://www.bluegrasspals.com.nyud.net:8080/dectalk
Here's how this works.  The first time any given file is downloaded using
this URL, it will come from my server, which has bandwidth limiting in
force.  However, files thus downloaded are stored on the mirroring servers
dynamicly, according to their popularity.  When you download a file which
has been stored on these servers, it will come to you much faster, since
they don't have to pull it from my site and can send it to you using much
more bandwidth while using none of mine.
Note that, if typing this URL at the Run dialog of Windows, you must put the
http:// in there, you can't just start with www.  If you do start with just
www, Windows will give an error.
Jayson.