Ownership's Comments: [DECtalk] Read me file updated

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Wed Aug 24 18:32:42 EDT 2005

Jayson Smith wrote:

> Also, as suggested earlier today, I can create a Bit Torrent of the archive,
> as it exists at any point in time.  A torrent is completely static, and can
> not be updated, however.  Also, with a torrent, downloaders can't pick which
> files they wish to receive, they will get the entire archive.  With a
> torrent, you get all or nothing.
> Jayson.

Sorry for being a little late on this one, but when it comes to the
(in)ability to pick a file out of a batch download, that's not entirely
true.

Depending very largely on the client, Azureus and BitComet, for example,
allow you to download only one or more individual files.  I can't
comment about BitConjurer (the "official" client by Bram Cohen) or
BitTornado since I don't use either one.

However, to be honest, since I am sighted, I can't vouch for how well
screen readers like WindowEyes or JFW can hook into Azureus (a Java
client) or BitComet (a system-native client).  I know that Azureus uses
Java's SWT toolkit which hooks into the system's own widgetry.

Hope this helps.

--Ian.