Ownership's Comments: [DECtalk] Read me file updated

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Aug 17 03:07:37 EDT 2005

Hello Andre, Nick, list, and whoever else.  I'm not going to respond to
most of this.  There is no point.  I'm not going to be in a bickering
contest.  I'll just drop the list if it comes to that.

Now then.  Umm, actually I have never downloaded a thing from you Andre
except your web pages.  Check your logs from November 2004 if you don't
believe me.  Second, you're right.  I'm not going to donate.  I don't need
your complaining for my dollars.  You've got to be kidding.  Third, I
basically don't care now what happens to the archive because of the
constant complaining from Andre.  If it's that much of a problem, just drop
it.  I've had to let archive sites go before because of bandwidth, so I do
understand.

I personally would be willing to take over the archive except the Red Dwarf
files if it comes to that.  I have enough bandwidth that I'm not really
worried about people downloading everything.  Heck, I have about 1gb or
more per day in download traffic already.  The only condition is that there
will be an Apache module in place to restrict bandwidth usage.  This is
unfortunately necessary and would result in a slower download speed for
all, but since I have been running servers off and on for quite a few years
now I do understand the bandwidth issues involved and there is no way
around it.  Also some of the content with prophanity will be removed, but
I'm not sure what or when.

Andre mentioned that I don't know how to run a server.  Please look at
http://investigative.net/.  I set up that server and I run it.  I am
running Debian Sarge, Apache 1.3.33 and Qmail.  So yes, I think I know
something about running servers.  I am not worried in the least about your
threats to take away the archive.  I don't wish to run it and I don't want
to be the main site for it, but I would be willing to work with Jayson to
figure out something.

I will leave you all with one other question.  Is it worth maintaining the
archive?  If I host or mirror it, is there going to be any new content?  Is
there any point?   I personally think not to all the above, which is why
there is no point in bickering with Andre.  The nice thing about someone
else being the owner such as Jayson is that it would eliminate the
unreasonableness going on.  If he wants to look at planetmirror.com, he
would have the option since he would be the new owner, maintainer, or
whatever you want to call it.  If none of that happens, oh well.  I have a
mirror of everything as of last Oct 31 and I would probably eventually put
it up for people to download.  Since domains are cheap, I might get
dectalk.org or dec-talk.org if it's available.  I don't know.

Oh, by the way Andre, it isn't just blind people that want something for
nothing.  It's almost every Internet user.  You probably don't donate to
every software developer or site you use regularly either.  That's the
freedom of the Internet.