[Blindapple] Eamon

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Feb 26 03:28:36 EST 2013

Jayson and all,

Don't be so sure that eamonag.org has everything.  Yes, it is the complete,
official Eamon site.  However, I found a lost Eamon on the Apple2 Asimov ftp
site which no one had heard of before, including the Eamon maintainers.  I
know of several other lost Eamons as well in various states of completeness
and playability.  It's possible that Tom or someone else out there has an
old Eamon on disk which is not in general circulation and/or which is lost.
  By lost, I mean any Eamon not widely available on eamonag.org, but I'm
also referring to old versions which have fallen out of favor for various
reasons, such as bugs.  A good example of a set of lost Eamons which I would
really like to get are the tournament versions.  I had both the Tournament
Main Hall and the original, tournament version of Eamon #79 at one time, but
the disk went bad and I don't have them anymore.  John Nelson and the former
Eamon maintainers dropped the tournament version by 1984, thus making it
very hard to find, but I know it's out there because I've played through it.

Also, I think there might be an old, lost Beginner's Cave out there.  On my
original Apple disk of the master, the eamon.desc has several monsters not
actually used anywhere that don't show up in the actual game when playing
through it.  I'm left wondering why they were left in and if there was more
in the early versions which got dropped later for some reason.  In
conclusion, I respectfully ask you to please not make assumptions that there
is no need to image your old Eamon disks.  Perhaps I just got lucky, but I
know I had quite a number of old versions now no longer available.  Granted,
some did have serious bugs, but still, they're valuable history if nothing
else.  I'm very disappointed that so many of my disks went bad to the point
that my drives couldn't read them, but I was using original Apple drives
from when the II Plus came out.  Perhaps they could be recovered with better
equipment, but I doubt it and it would be very difficult to get at them.

Regarding the Infocom games, Jayson is right.  Not only are they still very
much under copyright, but the Apple disks are easily available with
different versions of the games.  I would agree that getting the data files
and a modern interpreter would be the better option, at least for
accessibility.  However, even at that, there are different versions of the
games out there with different bugs and features.  If you can find an old
copy of the Masterpieces CD, you get almost all of the Infocom games at once
except Shogun and Hitchhiker's Guide, but both are easily found on the
Asimov site if it's still around.  I have everything, including the missing
ones.  I'll give them to you if you can somehow prove that you have legal
copies.  Activision is still around and I don't want to be sued.