[Blindapple] About the keyboard.

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Sat Aug 28 20:57:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

As for your Echo question, yes, there does need to be a disk with the
Textalker software in the drive before anything will talk. Textalker is the
software which drives the Echo card. Without it, the Echo would just sit
there, not doing anything.

As for your keyboard, if it truly has a USB plug, it is almost certainly the
wrong keyboard. As far as I know, the Apple IIgs was discontinued before USB
was invented. Therefore, Apple never made a USB keyboard for the GS, since
the GS never had any USB ports. If you can plug your keyboard into the USB
port on your main computer, you definitely have the wrong keyboard, and as
far as I know, there is no way this keyboard can be made to work on the GS.
If you got something calling itself an Apple keyboard, that was probably a
mistake. Since Apple also makes the Macintosh line of computers, an Apple
keyboard, in modern terminology, would be a keyboard to use with a Mac.
Hope that helps.