[Blindapple] introduction

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 29 09:25:04 EDT 2005

Hi.  At last, someone who might have information on something I had been
wondering.  I'm addressing the comments about the different versions of
Textalker.  I can comment a little on 1.3 since I have that disk image, but
information on other versions would be appreciated.  On the 1.3 disk, you
have three different versions.  One is simply TEXTALKER.  One is
TEXTALKER.RAM.  One is TEXTALKER.BLIND.  I assume that textalker.ram is the
RAM card version.  I am not sure about the other two, but I know one of
them doesn't have a review mode.  I used a version once which made the Echo
shound very strange.  It gave it a lower pitch than usual.  It had no
review mode so I don't know what version it was.

I also know that the 3.1 versions were from APH.  I found and confirmed a
3.1.3 or possibly 3.1.4 for DOS.  I know there was such a ProDOS version as
at least 3.1.3 because I used to have it and it credited Rob Meredith as
author.  I don't know about copyright info and I don't know if there was a
DOS 3.3 version.  Does anyone know about the 2.x or 3.0 series?  Does
anyone have a Textalker older than 1.3?

I would be happy to host any Apple II disk images.  My understanding is
that Jayson is already doing this, but I have enough server space to host
them if necessary.  I think someone should buy blindapple.org if it still
exists since it might disappear one of these days.  I would be willing to
purchase it and move things over to my server or point it to Jayson's.  It
might show up better in search engines and let people know that there are
still a few of us out there.

I actually had very little software for the blind.  I had the talking disk,
Talking Riddles and a few other things, but compared to most of you, very
little.  I eventually got ProWords, but none of the other Microtalk
software.  Unfortunately we weren't in a position to be able to afford much
software.  I have the Eamon adventures of course, but those were adapted
for speech, not written specifically for the blind.  I never had Bex or
some other things mentioned on this list before.