[Blindapple] introduction

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Fri Jul 29 09:53:29 EDT 2005

>Hi.  At last, someone who might have information on something I had
>been wondering.  I'm addressing the comments about the different
>versions of Textalker.  I can comment a little on 1.3 since I have
>that disk image, but information on other versions would be
>appreciated.  On the 1.3 disk, you have three different versions.
>One is simply TEXTALKER.  One is TEXTALKER.RAM.  One is
>TEXTALKER.BLIND.  I assume that textalker.ram is the RAM card
>version.  I am not sure about the other two, but I know one of them
>doesn't have a review mode.  I used a version once which made the
>Echo shound very strange.  It gave it a lower pitch than usual.  It
>had no review mode so I don't know what version it was.
>
>I also know that the 3.1 versions were from APH.  I found and
>confirmed a 3.1.3 or possibly 3.1.4 for DOS.  I know there was such
>a ProDOS version as at least 3.1.3 because I used to have it and it
>credited Rob Meredith as author.  I don't know about copyright info
>and I don't know if there was a DOS 3.3 version.  Does anyone know
>about the 2.x or 3.0 series?  Does anyone have a Textalker older
>than 1.3?

Yes, somewhere in my array of floppies I have a disk that contains
Textalker 1.2.  The pitch of the voice when using it sounds OK but
the quality of the speech is really bad.  Its impossible to explain
this in words--you have to hear it.

Here is a list of all of the 3.x releases of ProDOS 8 Textalker up to
and including what I think is/was the last version ever produced:

3.1
3.1.1
3.1.2
3.1.3
3.1.4
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6

I may have missed a few but I definitely have all of the ones listed
above.  Textalker 3.6 was released in 1993.  Come to think of it,
there may have also been a 3.2 version but it was nearly identical to
the 3.1.4 version.  The 3.1.4 version as far as I can tell never had
an official release but was shipped on the APH Scientific Calculator
disk.

GUI Access