[DECtalk] User dictionary

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Mon Feb 27 03:33:21 EST 2023

OK so I never got the user dictionary figured out, but fortunately I was
able to edit the US English dictionary, copying similar words and making
the corrections. I was able to use the same phoneme chart I found on

https://dectalk.github.io/dectalk/idh_ref_3_phonemic_symbols_2.htm

as the first character on the left column is the one the main DECTalk
dictionary needs to form the correct sound. Stress and syntax symbols
appear to be the same. I'm not sure what the last two fields do, but
whenever I copy similar words and paste the lines, correcting only the
word and its pronunciation, leaving the last two fields alone, then run

dic_us ./dic_us.txt

sudo mv dic_us.dic /opt/dectalk/dic/dtalk_us.dic

the word is immediately pronounced correctly. It would certainly be
better if I could add entries to a user dictionary and leave the main
dictionary untouched, but this certainly works for now.

~Kyle