[DECtalk] User dictionary

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Fri Feb 24 12:50:06 EST 2023

The first time I tried to join a Discord server, it told me that the
invite I had was invalid, even though it was given to me by the person
running the server. Then they disabled my account due to some sort of
spam that I never sent, as I had only even used the website twice
unsuccessfully. I got my account reenabled on appeal, but haven't tried
using it since then. I guess now is as good a time as any to try again,
as I really would like to get this user dictionary thing sorted out. I
would love to be able to work with the speech synthesizer directly
rather than change pronunciations in my screen reader.

On a side note, I got an email from a client yesterday asking about
cloning a git repository. I answered that question, and then find that
what my client was cloning was

https://github.com/dectalk/dectalk

So we have yet another user of this wonderfully old and wonderfully
lovely DECTalk software that seems to be aging like a fine wine. Even
probably 30 or more years ago when I heard this speech for the first
time, I thought it sounded really good for its time, and even now it
sounds better than most of the stuff we have now, with the possible
exception of Espeak, which if nothing else is more clear because of the
higher sample rate. I'm actually having a lot of fun seeing other people
using and having fun with these voices.

~Kyle