[DECtalk] User dictionary

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Thu Feb 23 23:24:58 EST 2023

Has anyone gotten user dictionaries working? Based on what I found in
the documentation, I created a test file that I called dictionary.tab.
For now, the file simply contains

whatchamacallit    [w 'ah ch ax m ax k `ao ll ih t]

In /opt/dectalk/DECTalk.conf, which is copied from the DECTalk.conf in
the dist folder when I compiled and installed it, I have the following line:

US_udict:udict_us.dic

So I ran

udic_us dictionary.tab udict_us.dic

This appears to complete without errors and I get a data file. Oddly
enough, the file is not called udict_us.dic, but is called udict_us.dtu.
So I copied the file into my /opt/dectalk installation directory as
udict_us.dic, which is the filename mentioned in DECTalk.conf. Then I tried

say -a whatchamacallit

But my dictionary entry that I tried to compile seems to be ignored, as
the default pronunciation of whatchamacallit is still spoken rather than
my dictionary entry, which should sound more correct. The same thing
happens when I change the name of the file back to udict_us.dtu and when
I change the reference in opt/dectalk/DECTalk.conf so that it uses the
dtu extension. I also tried putting the files into the /opt/dectalk/dic
folder, both with the .dic and the .dtu extension, and I hear the same
result; my whatchamacallit user dictionary entry is ignored. What did I
do wrong? Thanks for any help.

~Kyle