[DECtalk] It's time to bust some DECtalk myths

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Mon Sep 19 10:18:31 EDT 2022

It's possible that the device doesn't emit such an announcement on powerup.
I'm merely recounting what the original DECtalk did.

It is disconcerting for you to claim things aren't consistent.  If you hear
a "command error in command" once, you should hear it always!  The delightful
thing about software is that it is consistent; it doesn't wear out or break
like hardware.

Any unexpected behavior should be consistent/repeatable.  Then, you simply
have to track down why it is happening -- is there a malformed command in the
startup code?  Or, is a command not supported in that version of the device?
Etc.

You should, also, be able to *imagine* why it is doing something observed.
E.g., why would it have the need to speak "euro" -- even if that was your
local currency?  Does it similarly speak "meters"?  Or, "feet"?

It's possible something is configured incorrectly.  Or, that there is a
communications fault causing commands to be transmitted incorrectly or
corrupted in transmission.