[DECtalk] DECTalk command processing in NVDA add-on

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Sat Sep 17 16:43:16 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Two gentlemen wrote to me off-list this afternoon stating they could not
get DECTalk commands to process with the new NVDA add-on after doing a
say all. I wrote to those list members directly with a possible
solution. I am sharing part of that response here with minor edits, in
case other list members have similar DECTalk comand processing issue and
need a solution. See below for resolution steps.

I just remembered that when I was using an old NVDA DECTalk add-on years
ago, I had to make some changes in NVDA punctuation/symbols
pronunciation. If I set left bracket to "level "none", it reads out the
DECTalk code instead of performing the desired action. Try these steps.

1. Open your NVDA menu and select "Preferences".
2. Select "punctuation/symbol pronunciation" and press enter.
3. In "symbols" list, find the left bracket.
4. Change "level" combo box to most.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the right bracket and colon. Press enter
when done.