[DECtalk] GitHub DECtalk is really coming along quite nicely

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Sun Oct 16 16:04:23 EDT 2022

On 10/16/2022 7:55 AM, Devin Prater wrote:

> Wouldn't they also have to port Eloquence also? I doubt they understand that
> codebase, they probaly just it in Java or something.

That would be yet another cost on their plate.  It would be a judgement call
as to where they throw their efforts (and resources) in the hope of the
better "return".

And, there's no guarantee that any of the codebases were written with
portability in mind (though Java is highly portable because it runs in
it's own "machine").  You have to be very aware of the consequences
of each program statement as you are writing them in order not to
be bitten by some assumption that you've silently made that isn't
true in the new environment.