[DECtalk] decTalk on IOS with TestFlite beta app?

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Nov 15 20:29:34 EST 2022

On 11/15/2022 5:02 PM, jake mcmahanCharles Mcmahan wrote:
>      Sorry, I meant that message to go to the list.      Oh boy... Yes, the
> company can sue over this even if they are "dead.  Just because they're dead
> doesn't make it less likely that a lawsuit can come
> your way, because there are people still alive that were working for that
> company(Old grumpy man Roger) who could take due course of action.

Or, if the company went belly up, they likely OWED people money
at the time of their demise.  The assets held by the company were
then likely claimed (in court or by prior forfeiture) by the parties
holding their paper.

> The law doesn't
> care if you're blind or not.  Nobody is going to care if you're blind or not.
> you break the law you break it.

It also sets precedent for other scofflaws; steal our stuff and
we'll come after you.

Many retail establishments will prosecute shoplifters even when the
cost of the items stolen is greatly EXCEEDED by the cost of
prosecution -- because they want to "send a message".

And, even if you MAY *win* ("not lose") the lawsuit, you've got
to hire an attorney to represent you in all matters with the court.
Attorneys don't work for free.  They'll typically want a fair chunk
of cash up front before even taking your case (and you can assume
that they're going to spend every dime of it -- plus more!).

Finally, you don't want to build a reputation as a "thief" -- even
if you can claim it was "for good cause" (or ignorance).

We had a customer openly clone a design that we did for them.
They bought all the same parts that we did; wired them up the
same way we did; installed the software that we wrote... and
"cheated" us out of a sale (actually, many).

All we could do was smile -- and refuse to sell them any other
products!  So, now, instead of being a USER of that (stolen)
product, they also had to assume the responsibility of MAINTAINING
it in the face of other IMPROVING products (from us and other
vendors in the field).  Not a very good business decision when
you aren't *in* the "product development" business!