[DECtalk] decTalk on IOS with TestFlite beta app?

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Nov 15 20:11:47 EST 2022

On 11/15/2022 5:00 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
> and who knows, if, and when that day ever occurs, maybe society will have
> reached a point where everybody owns everything, and nobody owns anything.

We are already approaching that point -- but, not the way you
expect!  You now pay to watch *a* viewing of a movie (in your
home), listen to *a* playing of a song, *rent* access a Word
Processing program or a Photo-manipulating suite of programs, etc.

> So, for example, if you wanted to sleep with my wife, as you said, in your
> previous example, you would simply clone her and have your own version of

There are people ("swingers") who would gladly let you "use" her,
if she so consented.  As well as many folks who would offer
themselves to others outside their marriages without their spouses'
knowledge.

Their "values" differ.

OTOH, they might be *outraged* if you chose to harvest seeds from the
wildflowers growing on their lawn!

The OWNER sets the value of an item, to himself.  And, your taking
that item is /prima facie/ evidence that YOU recognize the item to
have value, as well!  (otherwise, you wouldn't WANT it)

> her.  but now this is just wild speculation, and it's really getting off
> topic from what this list is about so I would rather just put this whole
> topic to rest and work on what can be worked on as far as maybe putting more
> effort into getting the rights and permissions to use the source code for
> the very very niche subject subset of the blind community, which is
> interested in this very old product. Ra rather than engaging in wild
> speculations and possibly wasting peoples time on the list.   but then you
> would have to make cloning completely legal all over the world and then at
> which point you completely devalue humanity itself and so on and so forth
> but that's completely off subject. OK if you want to continue speculating
> just email me privately off list now closing topic.

If you were serious about getting LEGAL rights to use the source code,
you would hire a lawyer and set him to the task.  With the expected
result of a formal notice from him (with his signature on the line)
stating what your LEGAL rights are -- so *he* can be drawn into
court as an accomplice if the need ever arises (and the legal
owner will likely be VERY happy to see someone with deep pockets
involved!)

Approaching the assumed owner with "Hi, I want to use this for free"
is likely going to get different results than "Hi, we would like to
purchase your intellectual property for $100K"