[DECtalk] decTalk 4.41 through 4.6 sapi5

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue May 3 01:21:39 EDT 2022

On 5/1/2022 10:42 PM, William Prestwich wrote:
> I had made a number of edits to the makefiles to get them to compile in
> linux.

It's rare that makefile changes would be all that is needed to port something
to another target.  Writing code at that level of portability is a significant
undertaking!

> The source does compile but when attempting to use dectalk you are
> immediately presented with a segfault.

Is it a "clean" compile?  Or, one plagued with "warnings"?  (Hint:  there
is a reason they are called "Warnings"!)

> There's potential to get it to build in windows also (which I have very
> little experience with) - in fact you might have a better chance of getting
> it to work in Windows than Linux...

If they were sources intended for Windows, that is possibly true.

If, OTOH, they were sources for a standalone device (e.g., hardware
DECTalk), then Linux may be the easier port.