[DECtalk] decTalk variable val voice

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Wed Aug 17 16:56:39 EDT 2022

On 8/13/2022 3:24 PM, joshknnd1982 at gmail.com wrote:
> I seem to recall some versions of decTalk had a voice called Variable Val?
> What that voice sound like and which versions of decTalk had that voice? Any
> software versions with that voice?

It dates back to the DTC-01.

In my DECtalk work-alike, any voice can be changed and saved -- and
later restored.  There are mechanisms to allow for a "factory reset"
of an original voice definition (so you don't have to explicitly
enumerate all of the parameters for the voice to re-initialize it)

Also, other voices be created (you're not limited to b, f, h, k, p, r, u
and v).  I primarily use this feature for alerts/notifications, speaking
punctuation (so you get an auditory cue that what you are hearing is
not really "text"), etc.