[DECtalk] DECtalk TTS licensing

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 17:28:57 EDT 2021

Karen,

I interpret Don's comment about hardware synthesizers posing a potential
"problem" to mean methods for connecting to a modern computer became
antiquated years ago. Don, if I am not understanding your point
sufficiently, my apologies.

Two hardware speech synthesizer examples from my own life: I used the
DOS operating system until 2002, when circumstances required me to
update to Windows. My Doubletalk PC ISA card from RC Systems was
disposed of years ago because ISA card slots had already become
antiquated technology at that point in time. Serial ports were not far
behind in becoming antiques as I recall.

I still have a Braille Lite Millenium notetaker which has a TrippleTalk
hardware speech synthesizer built-in. TrippleTalk was essentially
DoubleTalk with a few extra voices. Although the Braille lite still
works, the computer I have used for the past 11 years does not have a
serial port to use with the Braille Lite's serial port cable. While I
know that USB to serial port cables can be purchased online, I'm not
sure the dinosaur named Braille Lite Millenium would connect to my
computer or talk with my Windows screen reader. Why? Because it uses old
connection technology.

I still have a desire to get a DecTalk Express speech synthesizer
someday if I can. But at the same time, I have concerns about how usable
it would be from a connection standpoint.

Curiosity question: Are you still using Vocal Eyes on a DOS computer? I
can see from your email address that you apparently use a shell account.
I have not used a shell account for 19 years, but I do recall shellworld
was/is a shell account provider.

Blake