[DECtalk] DECtalk TTS licensing

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Aug 31 17:12:14 EDT 2021

Hi again,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Don wrote:
> How they are processed may differ.  But, how they are USED isn't.

of course they are different, and there  is absolutely no uniformed
structure that reaches  a desired audience in the same fashion.
In fact, one thing I remember from graduate school is just how the
supposed audience can be manipulated by changing who you ask and how you
ask questions in your marketing research.

> You choose a font based on the feeling and focus that you want to convey
> to the reader.
and what constitutes the reader?  those questions differ a great deal.

  A decorative font used as a headline would be interpreted
> far differently than a bold, san-serif font.
who is defining decorative?  based on what experience for what reader?
There is a reason why, scientifically mind you, it is well established
that how the human brain processes  visual information is less precise
than how the brain   processes information verbally.
comprehension is a science.

> There are reasons that font catalogs contain thousands of different
> typefaces and not just one!
certainly, but those options do not uniformly convey emotions
consistently.
For example, one reader's decorative is another person's gaudy,  One
setting seeks simple clarity, the more simple the better like newsprint.
Another setting may layer on the fonts, leaving a reader confused.
I actually took part in a discussion recently where marketers discussed
why using red yellow and green could be a bad idea because of what the
color means to different parts of the population.

> In speech, you can convey this with intonation, volume, pitch, etc.
>
> But, what do I send to the synthesizer to say "present this with
> a sense of urgency" or "present this with rage" or "present this
> with a bit of levity" or ...
Why the combination of context and punctuation, of course, backed by a
screen reader that actually provides the ability to influence how this is
managed.  even then though the reader still decides how something will be
understood within their cultural frames of reference.
And a quality screen reader paired  with a quality synthesis source does
that well indeed.
Speech comprehension is a science too, what constitutes intelligible to the
human ear.
  Another simple example.
I am reading a fanfiction story that has the DC character Harley Quinn in
the cast..more than one actually.
the writer uses spelling to capture her  accent and speaking style
punctuation to indicate the pattern, and my dectalk  synthesizer coupled with
my screen reader nails her perfectly for that writer.
The other is less skilled in writing those elements, so Harley does not
come across so well to my ear.
You convey those things to the synthesizer by using proper configuration so
the tool works at its best.
A great deal of effort went into how digital equipment corporation
made
that happen
, because the process of communication in speech again is a science.
Karen