[DECtalk] DECtalk TTS licensing

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Mon Aug 30 23:48:54 EDT 2021

On 8/30/2021 11:21 AM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> I cannot speak to your personal interaction with fonts, but how the human brain
> processes  those things, and speech are quite different indeed.

How they are processed may differ.  But, how they are USED isn't.

You choose a font based on the feeling and focus that you want to convey
to the reader.  A decorative font used as a headline would be interpreted
far differently than a bold, san-serif font.

There are reasons that font catalogs contain thousands of different
typefaces and not just one!

In speech, you can convey this with intonation, volume, pitch, etc.

But, what do I send to the synthesizer to say "present this with
a sense of urgency" or "present this with rage" or "present this
with a bit of levity" or ...