[DECtalk] Dectalk hardware units for sale

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 08:49:02 EDT 2021

Hi,

In early July, I learned from another list about a gentleman with
several hardware Dectalk units for sale. At that time, he had 5 of the
heavy units for business telephone systems, a couple non-working Dectalk
Express units and some additional hardware. I hesitated to post here for
several weeks because I provided this list's subscription email address
and thought the seller might post here himself. That does not appear to
be the case. For everyone's benefit, I am quoting part of the message
which he sent to me when I inquired.

"I have five of the very old DECtalk units. They are very large and
quite heavy and are driven from an RS-232 sserial port. Originally, they
were
designed to run automated telephone systems such as the ones you get
when you call a big business and they give you a menu, you press a
number and perform
a certain process.  They had very good-sounding speech that was much
like human speech.  To my knowledge, all five of them work as they
should; though
not properly for today's screen readers.

I also have several DECtalk full-sized perrifferal boards that fit older
computers such as a XT, 286, 386, or 486 that has the old type ISA or
EISA card
slots.  The same human-like speech and much more controlable.

I also have two DECtalk Expresses that are much smaller devices that ran
on a rechargeable battery and connected via a normal serial port.  These
two devices
are not working and I don't know what it would take to repair them. I
have the power supply for one of them.  However, the power supply is no
more than
just a wallwart of the proper voltage and current capacity and having
the correct plug at the end of the cord."

I don't know if any of those products have been sold during the past
several weeks. If anyone on here would like to contact the seller
directly about the Dectalk units he has, email

htraxler7 at gmail dot com

Since list archives are publicly accessible, I changed the punctuation
marks to words in an effort to deter spam robot.