[DECtalk] Replacement cable for DECtalk Express

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Wed Jan 23 11:15:47 EST 2019

Hi,

The following information is from 2003, but seems to still be pretty
much accurate. If you're outside the United States, I have no idea if
this company will ship to your country, but at least you'll know what to
order from somebody! Sorry I can't be more help, haven't needed to order
any of this stuff in ages.

Jayson

--------------------

Ok I just ordered some cables and an adapter.  I must say that the
website is very blind-friendly, just for future reference.  They do
accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover as well as purchase orders.
I think the prices were the same as were reported in that Email.  To
find the products for the Dectalk Express, just go to
www.stonewallcable.com.  There is a search box on every page.  Just
enter "mmj" without the quotes into that and it will provide a list of a
lot of cables and other stuff.  Use Jaws/Wineyes/IE Find to find the
specific part numbers, which are SC-7021 for the cable, and SC-9444-J
for the adapter that converts the MMJ plug into a DB9 plug that goes
into your computer's serial port.  Each part number has a link.  Click
on that link and after the standard navigation and search stuff it tells
you what it is and has a quantity box.  For the cable, it also has a
length box which defaults to 10 feet.  This is before the quantity box.
Change these as needed and click the button to add the items to your
cart.  If you have never shopped there before you'll have to register
but that is very simple.  Anyway just keep adding stuff until
you're done then click the Checkout button in the cart page. Checkout is
very simple, just the standard stuff.
Hope this helps.
Jayson.

More info from a post I received follows:

Last February I did some research into locating such things as the
cables, connector, and battery pack for the DecTalk Express.  I had real
good luck on the cables, but the battery pack has turned difficult at
best.  First the good news and I am copying a couple of folks who
requested this specific information:
Cable supplier: www.stonewallcable.com
The primary cable for the DTE is generically called an MMJ to MMJ, but
carries a DEC part number BC16E.  The part is usually ordered as a
BC16E-10, -25, or - whatever, where the "-XX" indicates the length in
feet. Stonewall Cable uses a part number is SC-7021 and then you tell
them how many feet you want it to be.  I chose to get a 10 foot.  The
pricing is $5.50 plus 20 cents per foot, ergo a 10 foot cable was $7.50.
Next we have that funky little connecter that you can't buy at Radio
Shack. Generically this is called an MMJ to DB-9F.  The DEC part number
is  DEC H8571-J and the Stonewall Cable part number is SC-9444-J.  The
price on this piece is $12.95. Shipping is whatever you want, but I like
and they will provide USPS Priority Mail at the reasonable rate of $7.85
(this was last Feb.).

I was going to order up a batch of cables and connectors, but when no
one found an immediate need last Feb. I dropped the idea.  It's probably
just as well that each person handle there own. Stonewall takes credit
cards and their phone number is toll free 800-525-3303.  I loved there
internet order form, but I also have the benefit of a couple of eyes.

If I come up with a reasonable solution to the battery problem I will
send it out.  $115.00 plus shipping for the battery pack is outrageous.

By the way, your savings by using Stonewall will be about $44, where
authorized DecTalk suppliers are quoting $50 for the adapter and $14 for
the cable.