[DECtalk] More Gnuspeech demos added

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 24 05:01:31 EDT 2015

Yes, I did slightly increase the "tempo" to use their terminology.  I didn't
pick the best piece of sample text, for which I apologize, but it's what I
happened to have readily available.  I'll try to find a chapter of a novel
or a poem instead.  I have yet to find a synth which pronounces Debian
correctly, so that is part of the problem.  For non-dictionary words, the
pronounciation is not great.  Interestingly, the dictionary has 74,115
entries including a lot of duplicates, so about 74,000 words.  As I
mentioned, listening to a reasonably long portion of the GPL demo, I didn't
hear anything mispronounced.  I slightly changed the male voice parameters.
  Now that I have a better understanding of how to adjust the voice, I think
I can make better quality demos.  One other interesting thing is you can set
the cutoff frequency in HZ.  The default is 1500 HZ which is rather low.
That partially explains the poor quality with "s" sounds.  I plan to move
the demos to a new directory and demo the other voices.  It has male,
female, large child, small child and baby voices.