[DECtalk] How many of you are familiar with the Talking IRC Inside Jokes

Nick Giannak Nick at hkcradio.com
Tue Oct 13 16:52:22 EDT 2015

Tyler,
     I was very much an outsider by choice to the Talkingirc culture. I
went on a couple of times and found myself annoyed at the overall
insider culture, found it unwelcoming, etc. To be fair, however, I
myself did a lot of this in the communities I ran at the time. In
summation, we were all foolish youngsters.
     The guy who programmed all synth material was Flint Million, who
also wrote the BOFHNet IRC and Freedom Chat clients at the time. The
networks associated with all clients BOFH, FC, TIRC, all merged together
around 2004. I know this because he himself still takes responsibility
for much of this by maintaining his classic website, as well as a
revised version. Both can be found here. http://www.themillionweb.net/
     Cutiecat appears to be one Rachael Spangler. I know this only
because a friend of mine referred to Rachael by that name, but I have
never brought it up to her in conversation. Frankly, I have little to
talk about with her from that time, in my limited attempts at visiting
that network, I never, ever, ever ran into her.
     BOFH, of course, doesn't refer to the person by that name from the
skits. His real name escapes me, but I know that cancer took his life
around the same time as all of this was going down.
     Everyone else? Honestly, I don't know. I have a good idea who Mo
was (mohaned sayegh), but that's really it. I hope this clears a few
things up.
Thanks,
Nick