[DECtalk] The Dectalk site is gone, I think.

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Thu Jun 6 04:41:50 EDT 2013

The point isn't who owns the copyright to the DECtalk song. Ever since
sometime in 1989 or 1990, in the US anyway, anything you create in a
fixed form, be it on tape, in Braille, in print, on a computer, etc. is
automatically and instantly given copyright protection, even if it
doesn't have a copyright notice. Yes, that means this message is
copyrighted by me, never mind that it has absolutely zero commercial value.

The point is that some people have been creating DECtalk versions of
commercial songs, and even worse from a legal perspective, sometimes
they use commercial music as background music. There's also the issue of
the Red Dwarf episodes. Red Dwarf is a UK television series, and is
definitely copyrighted.

As far as Dreamhost shutting down the site, they might have. However, if
I'm not mistaken, it is/was run by the same guy who runs
q-continuum.net, where you can download and buy several software
products. I follow this person on Twitter, and you'd think he'd at least
mention it, and probably be pissed, if his Dreamhost account was
terminated and he had to find a new provider. I know for an absolute
fact that q-continuum is operational, because I had to download QRead
yesterday.
Jayson