[DECtalk] DECTAlk 4.4 Public Domain?

Doris and Chris chipmunks at gmx.net
Tue Jan 31 20:55:37 EST 2012

with all the discussion of singing dectalks, it was a couple of times
mentioned that dectalk version 4.4 is in the public domain.

Is there a version of this or can one be made available that works
with screenreaders?

I enjoy the dectalk songs I have heard and am amazed at the
creativity and finesse and perfection that goes into those songs but
this is nothing I have any interst in persuing myself .

I like dectalk for its clear speech and low footprint on older
systems and I would love to have a working version to use with my
screenreaders, i.e. jaws and nvda. For nvda especialy it would be
nice to have a free dectalk version. nvda comes with espeak, which is
free and open source. espeak is certainly usable and I like its
responsibeness but dectalk has much clearer speech and would be much
easier to understand for those used to more human sounding synths.

With all the time and energy devoted to making dectalk sing and
talking about this, if there is a public domain version of dectalk
available, could some of the time and energy be devoted to giving us
a free dectalk to just use with screenreaders or a free sapi version?
I do not know what would go into this but I'd like to see something
that is usable for the broader masses and especialy for nvda users.
nvda is coming of age and a decent free synth with it would be such a blessing!

Doris