[DECtalk] something i heard

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Mon May 9 10:52:11 EDT 2011

Hi,

I, for one, would love to see a SAPI version of a classic DECtalk. What I'd
probably say is 4.4 or earlier. As I've said before, if I could choose any
version at all, 4.2CD would get my vote.

For one thing, the 5.0 SAPI which was posted to this list a few days ago
seems to me to be a bit sluggish, especially when speaking several
sentences. It speaks the sentence, then it seems like it waits a bit long to
me. Hopefully a different DECtalk would address this problem. I never had a
copy of the SAPI Enable was working on, so I have zero knowledge of how it
did in this regard.

Another thing is, for people who know what DECtalk used to be, going back to
the classic DECtalk would recreate that. I never will forget a few years ago
my dad got a new cell phone with MobileSpeak. When selecting which speech
synthesizer we wanted, one of the choices was DECtalk. I don't know if
Eloquence was among the choices or not. But anyway, we both thought DECtalk
was the best choice. We were familiar with what DECtalk used to be, and I at
least thought Fonix was trying to revive the classic DECtalk sound. I was
horribly disappointed when MobileSpeak ran for the first time. Actually I
think that version sounded almost identical to the DECtalk 5.0 SAPI that was
posted to this list, so they were probably using 5.0 or something very close
to it.