[DECtalk] Too high-pitched notes, and DecTalk sounds distorted

Dectalk at aol.com Dectalk at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 09:14:36 EDT 2008

It's not that I can't program songs by ear, I just  don't like to.  If the
song is short and simple, it's no problem.  But  it's the longer songs I have
trouble with.  I'm so use to sheet music that  I just prefer it because my mind
automatically sees milliseconds and  phonetics.  I've been doing this since
1989, so it's totally nothing to me  any more.

I program songs for the disabled community, and I tell  everyone it takes me
over 10 hours to program a song.  I do this because  for people who have spent
days programming a song, they would be sick if they  knew the truth.  With
sheet music, I can program most songs in about 2  hours give or take.  Without
sheet music, oh man man,  forever.

I love being on this listserv because you all program  Dectalk.  In the past
I have been nominated for awards for my Dectalk  skills which I hate!  I never
wanted to be the best in the world, I only  wanted to be good.  I dream of
the day when other people start releasing  CDs with Dectalk or some other
software because it's only then when it will  create a new music category that I can
take part in.  My dream is to get a  Dove Award and to sing at the Grand Ole
Opre.

Anyway, I wanted to throw something out and I meant to  mention this before.
Now, I know nothing about marketing which is my  biggest problem.  BUT, if
any of you ever wanted to put your stuff on CD, I  want to offer my services.
I'm still learning how to mix stuff and have no  one to teach me.  So I'm no
professional by a long shot!  I understand  how to do stereo, but every time i
try actual stereo, the music goes out the  left speaker and the vocals go out
the right.  So I convert everything into  a multiple mono mix and then convert
it back into stereo.  So if you can  live with that, I'll be delighted to
help.  Or, if you can tell me how to  avoid that split, I'd be grateful.  The
split never happens on my computer,  if I do a true stereo mix everything shows in
both speakers, but if I burn it or  upload it, it splits. That's why I
convert to multiple mono.  It's  nuts!

In any event, I'm sorry I misunderstood the  question.  If a note goes above
37 or high C, you just go down an  octave.  BUT, if you know what you are
doing within a key, you can change  notes.  It took me forever to learn that, but
any song has  flexibility.   Take Sandi Patty, if she gets tired in a concert,
she  can always chance a high note to a lower note without changing octaves.
I  can do this be ear only.  I can't tell you guys how to do it because it
kind of goes by feeling.  And some times you need to change more than just  a
single note.  And even if your not out of range, changing notes also  changes
the expression.  It's tricky to do but can always be  done.

SNOOPI BOTTEN

In a message dated 8/7/2008 4:16:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,