[DECtalk] Editing Dec-Talk Dictionary in Linux

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Mon Mar 5 23:36:56 EST 2007

As I recall, the firmware update files for this unit did come with a
dictionary.  I don't have a physical unit to play with but I did dig
into the firmware update.  The dictionary format for this unit is
slightly different from the regular DECtalk dictionaries.  Presumably
this was done to conserve space as the regular dictionaries are
pretty wasteful as far as space is concerned.

I imagine it would be straightforward to write a command line program
to modify the dictionaries; I have code which dumps regular DECtalk
dictionaries.  Modifying these would be straightforward enough--you'd
just have to add support for the smaller dictionaries for the DECtalk
USB.

Getting just the modified dictionary back onto the UNIT would be the
tricky part and I have no idea how you'd accomplish that.

GUI Access