[DECtalk] the archive is messed up

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 12 15:06:54 EDT 2006

Hi,
It's all fixed now.  Seems that back when I made a new directory, I looked
at the permissions and said to myself, "Now all that stuff doesn't really
need world execute permissions, now does it?"  The next command I typed was
"chmod -x *".  Of course what I totally forgot was that the directories do,
in fact, need execute permission so that Apache and FTP can change to them.
So it's all fixed now, but I have a few questions pertaining to
Planetmirror.  Now that they have completely deleted the whole archive, with
the exception of exactly one relatively unimportant and tiny file, what do
we do?  Are people actually using the Planetmirror copy?  I really hate to
put that much of a bandwidth drain on my system at this time.  The archive,
as it stands now, is over 1.4 gigabytes.  At less than 30 KB per second
that's going to take a *long* time to download all over again!  Plus, it
might bring the "questionable" nature of some of our files to their
attention when they're suddenly downloading tons of stuff from the archive.
If someone else has the bandwidth and is willing to privately mirror the
archive that might honestly be a better option.  What do you think?
Because of these concerns, I have turned off my FTP server so Planetmirror
can't get in.  However, the archive is now once again accessible via HTTP.
Jayson.