[DECtalk] new to the list

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Wed Mar 1 00:28:01 EST 2006

>Hi,
>Actually if I recall correctly the DECtalk USB uses some flavor of DECtalk
>5.0 so the DECtalk portion of the firmware would be totally different from
>that contained in the DECtalk Express.  The software I disassembled is the
>DECtalk 4.3 demo which, in my opinion, sounds just about like the 4.2CD
>Express firmware.  I seem to recall that the DECtalk Express uses an 80386
>processor, so if you could separate the kernel and lowest level code from
>the DECtalk code which I don't know if you could, but you could use that.
>However, the Speak43 application doesn't have to have the very basic stuff
>since Windows provides all that.

I think the DECtalk USB uses some variant of ARM processor.  ARM and
80386 aren't even close to being the same instruction set.  Not to
mention that the DECtalk Express and the DECtalk USB have totally
different low-level means of generating audio--I'm sure the devices
are about as technically different as apples are to oranges.

GUI Access