[DECtalk] Getting Dectalk To Sing Independent Vocal Parts

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Dec 31 04:36:39 EST 2006

Hi,

I am far from an expert on DEC-Talk singing, but I had little problem
with adding background music to two separate voices.  I took a text
file done by Jayson and converted it to wave with the demo.  I then
changed th voice to a female and repeated the process with a
different wave filename.  I loaded both files into Sound Forge and
mixed them, one on each channel.  I saved the mixed parts as another
wave file.  Finally, I recorded MIDI background music and mixed it
with the master singing wave file.  It was slightly out of sync with
the music but I fixed that by using the time stretch feature.  By
adjusting the singing a little here and there, I got it to match
reasonably well.  I won't say that it's perfect but I was
impressed.  If you aren't doing background music, I would think the
best bet is to record two individual voice parts as separate files
and mix them via something like Sound Forge.  I think also that if
you want background music, go for it.  It really isn't that hard to
do, at least I didn't think so.  Again, I didn't create the original
text file and I am far from an expert.  I don't know how to do the
phonemes and all of that anyway.  I can read the manual to learn and
I probably will one of these days.