[DECtalk] New Red Dwarf MP3 files

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 30 00:11:24 EDT 2005

Hi there,
Actually for the Red Dwarf files I didn't do any mixing at all.  I use APH
Studio Recorder for most of my sound editing work.  It doesn't have much in
the way of effects, but it gets the job done quite nicely for sound editing.
For the Red Dwarf music, I took the mp3 music from Shaun, then converted it
to wav and downsampled it to 11025, mono.  Still 16-bit.  That's what the
DECtalk produces at its best.  To use Studio Recorder's Insert Wave feature,
the files must be in the same format, so that takes care of that.  So I
converted each episode to wav, then got to the point just after DECtalk
spoke the episode name, then inserted the music.  That's about all there was
to it.  Also, the MP3 specs for these files are 11025, 16-bit, 16 KBPS,
Mono.  I used high quality, not sure what others used.
As far as mixing jobs, what I do and recommend is to use something like
Cakewalk or Sonar, E.G. an actual multi-track studio program.  What you do
is to put each element of the final product on its own track.  Then, you
have independent volume controls for each element, and thus you can play
around, making adjustments here and there until it sounds good.  Then you do
a mixdown to create the final product, or something that will be very close
to it.
Hope this helps.
Jayson.