[DECtalk] DecTalk newbie

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Wed Apr 20 00:22:30 EDT 2005

Some technical info to throw into the discussion, for those interested.

The Nyquist sample theorem essentially says that the sampling rate of
a digital signal should be at least twice the highest frequency in
the signal.  Therefore, a 11025 Hz signal should not contain
frequencies above approx. 5500 Hz.  Most male and female talkers do
not generate perceptible frequencies above 5000 Hz, so the 5500 Hz
cutoff is not a big problem.

If you blindly up-sample a 11025 Hz signal to 22050 Hz or 44100 Hz
without a low-pass filter, you are going to get some audio artifacts
in the upper part of the audio spectrum.

In order for DECtalk to accurately generate speech at 22050 Hz or
44100 Hz, it would have to calculate 6th, 7th, and 8th formants as
part of the speech signal; currently it only calculates 5 formants.
In nearly all formant-based text-to-speech synthesizers, formants
above the 4th formant are usually held constant through the signal so
adding 6th, 7th, and 8th formants would not really get you speech
that is of a higher quality than what DECtalk gives us right now.

What I find interesting is that DECtalk is smart enough to tilt down
the audio spectrum and only calculate 4 formants if you save the
output at the 8000 Hz setting.

Reader note.  The above applies to the D.E.C. DECtalks; who knows how
this applies to the Fonix DECtalk.  I don't say this tongue in cheek
either--the Fonix DECtalk sounds to me as though it is of
substantially lesser quality audio at 11025 Hz when compared with the
D.E.C. DECtalk.

GUI Access