[DECtalk] DecTalk newbie

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 20 00:00:53 EDT 2005

Hi,
If you use a good audio editor, converting a sound file to a higher sample
rate is not a problem, as these programs have anti-alias filters.  As far as
the 11025 sample rate, that's probably the highest quality DECtalk
generates, period.  I know that a file when played in the Speak43
application sounds no different from the same file converted by the same
application to a .wav file.  Think about it.  Back in the early 1980's when
the DECtalk system was being designed, the technology of today just wasn't
available.  As far as the general public of that time was concerned, when
you bought music, you got it on some form of phonograph records or analog
magnetic tape.  If you wanted to record something and store it in a form
that could be easily played back or erased, you used some form of analog
magnetic tape.  So if the concept of CD-quality sound even existed, it
didn't exist in the minds of the general public as CD"s weren't available
or, if they were, very few people had them.  So back then, a sample rate of
11025 would have probably been perfectly reasonable.  Even now, telephone
systems can't reproduce really high-frequency sound, and I'm sure back in
those days the long-distance telephone networks were even less able to do
so.
Jayson.