[Blindapple] How to make ProDOS system programs talk

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Mon Aug 9 13:12:42 EDT 2021

I have a ProDOS disk with system programs on it that I have copied to a
hard disk image. The problem is that executing any system program stops
speech. Yes, even basic.system is affected. That problem is easy enough
to solve, because startup, which is the default BASIC program that
starts with basic.system can start with a line that says

0 PRINT CHR$(4) "BRUN TEXTALKER"

or otherwise,

BRUN TEXTALKER

can be typed blindly at a prompt. The Davex shell specifically looks for
pt.obj in the same folder where it runs, but then running any other
system program from the shell again stops speech until the system
program is terminated. I don't seem to recall having this problem with
the software I had back in the day when I used an Apple //e at school,
but there must have been something obvious that I knew of then that I
have since forgotten. Is there any way at all to run system utilities,
for example from the latest ProDOS 4.2.2 disk, and keep Textalker
running at the same time or force it to be reloaded so that system
utilities actually speak?

~Kyle