[Blindapple] Lots of material from Raised Dot Computing

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Sun Nov 10 14:24:25 EST 2013

Hi,

To answer a few of your questions.

I've found the Braille Edit disks to be a bit buggy, but there's a
simple reason. In the days of Braille Edit, Raised Dot liked to make the
disk volume number the same as the Braille Edit version. So if you were
cataloging a version 2.45 disk, instead of the disk volume being 254, it
would be 245. This seemed like a nice thing to do, but in retrospect, it
caused all kinds of problems when the disks were imaged. The workaround
seems to be probably to use CiderPress to transfer all files from
Braille Edit disks to new disks that have the Raised Dot modified copy
of ProntoDOS on them. This is much easier said than done, as obviously
the DOS INIT command on Raised Dot disks doesn't write DOS to
initialized disks.

As for Bette, I don't know much about it, but it appears to be
Braille-Edit Textbook Transcribing Edition. Once BEX was on the market,
BETTE became outdated, so RDC developed a companion product for BEX
called TranscriBEX.

If you launch index.html from the root directory of the CD directory
structure, you'll be guided to lots of information including
documentation, newsletters, etc. You'll miss a lot if you just use the
HTML documents, but it does make finding some things easier.

Hope that helps.
Jayson