[Blindapple] Anyone still here? And a few software requests

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 21 00:39:45 EST 2010

Hi,

     Okay, here it is! I hope this works! If it doesn't, please let me know
what's going wrong and I'll try to fix it.

     This is Apple Disk Transfer, ADT for short. ADT is a program to
transfer disk images between your Apple and your PC. It consists of a
Windows application and an Apple program. The two programs communicate
together to exchange disk images. Note, this is not the full ADT
distribution. The full ADT distribution can be found at the website here.
http://adt.berlios.de
This distribution contains just the minimum needed to get you going. It
contains four files, as follows.
adt.exe is the Windows application. Put this in any directory. If you run it
from that directory, or from the Start, Run... dialog, that directory is
where all disk images will be stored, and also where all disk images to be
sent to the Apple must reside. If you put adt.exe in a directory on your
path and run it from a command shell, whatever your current directory is at
the time will be the directory for disk images.
adt.dmp is the monitor binary dump of the Apple program. You'll upload this
to the Apple, and I'll describe how to do this later.
adt133.dsk is a disk image of ADT. I included it here so you'd have a disk
image with which to practice.
manual.txt is the ADT manual.

Now, to transfer the Apple program to your GS. Be booted up in DOS 3.3. Have
your serial cable hooked up to the modem port on the GS, which is slot 2.
Insure the GS control panel is configured for slot 2 being modem port. If
Textalker is running, turn it off by typing Ctrl-E O return. You should not
hear another Ready prompt. This is because Textalker would almost certainly
interfere with the transfer on the Apple end.
Put a formatted disk in drive one, with at least sixteen sectors free. This
is where the ADT binary will be saved.
Type IN#2 and press return.
Set the serial speed to 300 baud. Yes this is slow, but the manual
recommends this speed for the initial transfer. Once the program is running,
disk transfers will occur at 19200 baud. This 300 baud is just for the
initial ADT bootstrapping process. To do this, on your Apple, type Ctrl-A 6
B return, without the spaces.
Now go into your PC communication program. Set it for 300 baud, and upload
adt.dmp as ASCII. This will take several minutes, since it's going at 300
baud. The last thing this file does is to save a copy of ADT to the disk, so
when the file is complete, you should hear the disk run for a few seconds.
If all goes according to plan, exit your comm program on the PC, and start
adt.exe. Select the com port and speed, use 19200. Hit connect.
Type BRUNADT return to start the Apple ADT program. Even if you turned
Textalker back on, this program probably won't talk.
>From this point on, all control of ADT is done from the Apple side. To send
a disk image, press s, type in the filename to store on the PC, and hit
return. ADT will supposedly not allow you to overwrite an existing file on
the PC. Filenames traditionally end with .dsk. To receive a disk image, hit
r, type in the filename, and hit return. The program will not allow you to
receive a file which doesn't exist. The disk in slot 6, drive 1 will be used
for all operations. For receives, the disk must be initialized, and all
contents will be totally overwritten, so be sure you have the right disk in
the drive! ADT gives you no warnings about this, it assumes you know what
you're doing.
To quit ADT, hit q. After any transfer is complete, or an error occurred, an
Appleworks-inspired beep will play on your Apple. To abort a transfer, at
either end, hit Escape. I'd suggest practicing by sending the disk image of
your ADT disk to the PC first. Then, maybe receive the adt133.dsk image to
another disk. Keep a copy of the ADT binary file in a safe place, since if
you ever lose it, you'll need to do the bootstrapping all over again.
I hope this helps! If you have any questions or problems, please write back!