[Blindapple] Apple BBS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 29 02:39:36 EDT 2005

Hi.  Yes, I was thinking of the former.  People would connect to an
emulated Apple with a2.  I am still thinking about logistics.  Security is
an issue as I explained.  No, there would not be multiline funcitonality,
it would be one user at a time.  The problem with the later approach is
that first A2 can run on almost any OS already so there would be no reason
to have a public access system.  Second, many programs won't work with
write protected disks such as the Eamon games.  I wouldn't do the
later.  Besides I don't want to explain to people how to telnet.  It would
be only for this list and I presume everyone here already has A2 or can get
it.  This would be more for the fun of it than anything, just to see if it
could be done.  I have a couple BBS packages but whether they will run or
not is unknown.  I'm not sure how to prevent shelling out from A2 unless I
made A2 the shell.  Even that could cause problems.  If I knew of a way to
not allow the ~ as escape character, thatg would help.  I just wouldn't let
people escape from the emulator unless they logged off the BBS.  I am not a
C programmer but the emulator doesn't look that complicated so it might be
easier than I think.  Maybe I would use Appleemu instead just because it
doesn't allow shelling and supports an IIe.  I don't know.  If you want to
look at BBS packages, let me know and I'll send what I have.