[Blindapple] introduction

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Wed Jul 27 23:24:49 EDT 2005

What else differed?  I really want to know, and no I don't ever
recall seeing this info on this list but it may have been posted
before I subscribed.

Those of us with Real A2s could of course make the disks and use them
so its not a total lost cause.

I'd rather you not sell off your A2 stuff at least until you've
salvaged this stuff.  It'd be nice to have a quasi-permanent home for
all this old talking A2 stuff.  I'd certainly contribute what I have
since its quite a lot.

The 'Talking Disk' I have has a version of Textalker that is older
than dirt on it.  The 'Talking Riddles' disk has a slightly newer
version of Textalker so its very possible that they updated the
'Talking Disk' and fixed other problems as well.  Again, I'd love to
know what they changed.

On yet another note, its amazing how many different versions of DOS
Textalker there were.  I once gave a lot of time to trying to catalog
all the different versions but gave up.

I did manage to put together a ProDOS 8 disk with all the ProDOS
versions on it but there were too many different DOS 3.3 versions.  I
think there were even multiple versions which shared the same version
number, thus making it virtually impossible to categorize them.  I
guess there were some versions that loaded into the Language Card
area, some that loaded into the lower 48 KB, etc.  As I said, never
figured it out.

Then there was the Echo program that shipped with the Echo+.  It was
not Textalker but rather a program that used BASIC's & vector to add
commands for speaking.  I.e.

&talk "Hello"
&say "Hello"
&play "C4/4"