[Blindapple] Slightly OT - shuffling routine

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Nov 25 00:17:13 EST 2004

Hi.  You'll probably get many responses on this but here is my
experience.  The PC is very bad at random numbers.  Usually people use the
timer as a seed but that isn't really random.  The Apple was much better
about that.  Second, I don't think this can be done in GW-BASIC.  I know
you are using different types of BASIC now so probably one of those would
work, but then you either get into direct screen writes or you have to make
your game self-voicing under Windows.  I have a limited knowledge of Pascal
but I'm reasonably sure that Pascal would do this.  There are free
implementations available including a GNU version.

I'll give you a word of warning, also from experience.  Don't try using a
sound card under BASIC in DOS.  Every card is different and it will
probably crash Windows.  If you're using Visual BASIC, you won't have to
worry about it but again you've just limited yourself to Windows only that
way.  You should contact Jim Kitchen about this.  He has written many games
for DOS and Windows and would probably be happy to help.  Feel free to
write me off list if you want me to test your game or if you have other
questions.