[DECtalk] Software DECtalk availability (was Re: using dectalk with orca in ubuntu)

Jason J.G. White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Feb 3 21:13:45 EST 2024

On 3/2/24 20:24, Miguel Villagomez wrote:
> Also worth noting is that version 4.99 also has support for compiling
> under arm64, so you can run it on something like a Raspberry Pi.
> The BT Speak, which is Blazie’s handheld Linux device, uses a 64-bit
> ARM processor, so it's extremely likely that they’re using this
> version in the device.

I wasn't sure about ARM64 support. Thank you for clarifying. As an
aside, how complicated do you think it would be to port it to Risc-V?
This isn't important yet, but it may be in the future, hence the
concerns about long-term maintenance under the new owners.

Also, I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice of any kind, and if
you need legal advice, you should consult a qualified legal
practitioner. Now to my issue. My non-expert's understanding is that
people who contributed non-trivial changes on GitHub still hold the
copyright to their individual contributions. So licencing a version
which includes those changes could raise interesting issues. I don't
know whether an implied licence would be taken to exist or what the
position would be without the consent of those contributors.