[DECtalk] Dectalk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 14

Tom Kopec w1pf at comcast.net
Sat Jun 27 18:26:11 EDT 2015

The modeling of voices looks like it should be simple, but tiny details
make a huge difference.

Ed was there in the early days, I arrived much later.. but if I recall
there was some work in live vocal-tract measurements and other
physically-based methods that were used in creating the original voices.

As Ed mentioned, one of the issues that crops up when you modify a voice
is the overload problem (running out of the dynamic range of the integer
DSP code due to unfortunate parameter choices) .. so one might say
"well, we have infinite compute power these days, just make it floating
point!" .. turns out that brings up a whole new pile of problems..

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the DECtalk code remains
proprietary.. there's a lot that could be done by folks who really know
what's under the hood.. and at least some of us would really like to do
it..  but we can't touch it.

...tom