[DECtalk] update on fonixTalk in other languages

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:22:55 EDT 2015

I do speak Chinese, so I feel relatively confident in my judgement of
the system in that language. There are other Chinese speech engines that
are much better, as you have said. There are three reasons that I knew
the sample text was in Korean:
1. My friend, while finding the speech ridiculously inaccurate, was able
to understand what was said.
2. Korean uses a different symbol set than Chinese, Japanese, and
Russian. In fact, Korean does not share its characters with any other
language. Were this from another language, there would have been no output.
3. I have heard Korean spoken, and it was easy to hear some of the same
verbal elements. For example, many sentences in Korean end in something
that sounds like "im ee da" with a different set of consonants preceding
it. This was clearly evident in the sample text.
I agree that dectalk has always failed to get a good British accent.
That is probably why there just isn't one in fonixTalk. Only U.S. is
available.

Carlos